Wednesday, 30 November 2011

New Poem By Conor Clooney



Conor Clooney (pictured) is one of Kingston University's Poetry Now students.  Here is a recent sonnet of his, written for my class. I find it very moving, and adept.


My Father’s Tattoos

I remember looking at your tattoos.
When I was a child I’d stare for hours
Hoping that one day I’d be just like you;
Smelling of ciggys and whisky sours.
You’d come home late with swallows on your hands
And women on your arms. My name branded
On your bicep. I cannot understand
Why it is there and you’re not here. Stranded
In the flat, I wait for you to come home
And kiss me and play with me in the dark,
But you don’t and now you’ll never know
That I wanted you tattooed on my heart.
So now I see that like you they lose their colour
And I should’ve tried to be more like my mother.

Poem by Conor Clooney


Post a Comment

Popular Posts

About Eyewear the blog

Eyewear THE BLOG is the most read British poetry blog-zine of all time, getting more than 25,000 page-views a month. It began in 2005 and has now been read by over 2.5 million.


The views expressed by editor Todd Swift are not necessarily shared by contributing poets and reviewers. Any material on this blog infringing copyright will be removed immediately upon request.
To order books from Eyewear PUBLISHING LIMITED, go to: www.eyewearpublishing.com