Skip to main content

The Winners of the 2010 Eyewear Prize for Poetry

This year's winner of the inaugural Eyewear Prize for Poetry is Greg Santos, for his poem 'Eyewear' (see below).  Second place goes to Alan Baban, for 'I'm In Theatre Five' and third place goes to Angela Readman for 'The Unidentified'.  Poets were asked to submit original work that used the image of vision, eyewear and/or the number five in a poem.  I would like to thank all those who submitted poems, and congratulate the winners.



Eyewear

Eye wake up in a construct.
Ben Mirov, “Eye, Ghost”

Eye have trouble with my vision.
Eye wear contact lenses and eyeglasses.
Eye still can’t see what you see.
Eye have trouble sleeping.
Eye wake up in a sweat.        
Eye eat too many starchy snacks at night.
Eye go from bed to couch.
Then from couch to bed.
This can happen five times a night.
Eye turn on the TV and it laughs at me.
Eye linger on The Discovery Channel for too long.
Eye discover nothing and feel empty inside.
Eye can’t forget to put the recycling out.
Eye crave grilled cheese sandwiches at inopportune times
Like in the shower or when making love.
Eye turn on the fan when it is too hot.
The oscillating sounds like it’s coming from inside my skull.
Eye find this comforting.
Eye can’t forget to take the laundry out of the dryer.
Eye don’t play sports anymore.
Eye need to watch my waist.
Eye am doing my best to make sense.
Eye get the feeling my TV is watching me.
Eye think my guitar misses me
But I am too shy to return its calls.
Eye don’t paint anymore.
Eye think about poetry too much.
There’s a fog in my brain only poetry can clear.
Eye can’t forget to wring my brain and hang it out to dry.

Greg Santos was born and raised in Montreal. His writing has appeared in numerous journals and anthologies, including McSweeney's, The Best American Poetry Blog, Matrix, Cha: An Asian Literary Journal, The Green Bike Anthology (2010), Rogue Stimulus (Mansfield Press, 2010), and Dingers: Contemporary Baseball Writing (DC Books, 2007). He holds an MFA in Creative Writing from The New School in Manhattan. He currently resides in New Haven, Connecticut with his wife. His first full-length book of poetry is due out in fall 2010 with DC Books. He is the poetry editor of pax americana (http://paxjournal.com) and he blogs at Moondoggy’s Pad (http://moondoggy.blogspot.com).


---

I'm In Theatre Five

Couple plastics gentlemen are pumping a lady’s bosom
Full of new silicon—and to bursting—not a game face
In sight.
Don’t think no one’s noticed by viscera speaking out.
The anaesthetist dials down the white noise for a little
Pop and rock—a little between the stations—between
Streams of flesh and strings of metal vibrating comes
The tiny static—Lopsidedness? Frightening distortion?
The patient sleeps through it all areola-starred.
These aren’t technical terms, by the way.
We aren’t riffling for snaps in briefcases in crocodile
Skin. I could hear that perfectly crystal.
Skin.

poem by Alan Baban, second place winner

---

 The Unidentified

All night I heard howling, the sound of a life
being secreted away. Some beast opened its eye,
sat outside, grinding slips of dawn between its teeth.
Morning came bright as a coin on an eye at my wake;
sun on my glasses a mere flipside to the moon.

I feel night at the thread bare curtain of noon,
a gloved hand tug at the edges of light ,
to test the wear worn seams of the day.
Did you hear it?’ I say. My breath hangs pale.
Your blown kiss feigns fever on a dead mans’face.

Breeze is a ghost on your hem as you walk away.
I set off to hunt with a rabbit mocked hound,
sniffing to relieve himself on every tree on my land.
A scarecrow capers as the wind plays my coat;
the wise-cracking crows do not move.

I lay down my shotgun, like a believer his cane,
listen to the secretive grass, keep to ground;
every cloud unravels the entrails of sheep.
There are no official cats here, but farmers
lope home towards windows watchful as skulls

of something shot in a hen house years back.
I follow vague tracks that lead me where I began,
back to the dried petals of mouth prints on the mirror
where you practise French letters with a feral top lip.
You cradle a phone, laugh, then glance my way.

poem by Angela Readman, third place winner

Comments

Anonymous said…
I love Angela Readman's work and this is another cracker. Well done to Todd for setting up this competition as well, and to the other winners.

Popular posts from this blog

CLIVE WILMER'S THOM GUNN SELECTED POEMS IS A MUST-READ

THAT HANDSOME MAN  A PERSONAL BRIEF REVIEW BY TODD SWIFT I could lie and claim Larkin, Yeats , or Dylan Thomas most excited me as a young poet, or even Pound or FT Prince - but the truth be told, it was Thom Gunn I first and most loved when I was young. Precisely, I fell in love with his first two collections, written under a formalist, Elizabethan ( Fulke Greville mainly), Yvor Winters triad of influences - uniquely fused with an interest in homerotica, pop culture ( Brando, Elvis , motorcycles). His best poem 'On The Move' is oddly presented here without the quote that began it usually - Man, you gotta go - which I loved. Gunn was - and remains - so thrilling, to me at least, because so odd. His elegance, poise, and intelligence is all about display, about surface - but the surface of a panther, who ripples with strength beneath the skin. With Gunn, you dressed to have sex. Or so I thought.  Because I was queer (I maintain the right to lay claim to that

IQ AND THE POETS - ARE YOU SMART?

When you open your mouth to speak, are you smart?  A funny question from a great song, but also, a good one, when it comes to poets, and poetry. We tend to have a very ambiguous view of intelligence in poetry, one that I'd say is dysfunctional.  Basically, it goes like this: once you are safely dead, it no longer matters how smart you were.  For instance, Auden was smarter than Yeats , but most would still say Yeats is the finer poet; Eliot is clearly highly intelligent, but how much of Larkin 's work required a high IQ?  Meanwhile, poets while alive tend to be celebrated if they are deemed intelligent: Anne Carson, Geoffrey Hill , and Jorie Graham , are all, clearly, very intelligent people, aside from their work as poets.  But who reads Marianne Moore now, or Robert Lowell , smart poets? Or, Pound ?  How smart could Pound be with his madcap views? Less intelligent poets are often more popular.  John Betjeman was not a very smart poet, per se.  What do I mean by smart?

"I have crossed oceans of time to find you..."

In terms of great films about, and of, love, we have Vertigo, In The Mood for Love , and Casablanca , Doctor Zhivago , An Officer and a Gentleman , at the apex; as well as odder, more troubling versions, such as Sophie's Choice and  Silence of the Lambs .  I think my favourite remains Bram Stoker's Dracula , with the great immortal line "I have crossed oceans of time to find you...".