Skip to main content

THE SWIFT REPORT 2017

I am writing this first part on the eve of New Year's Eve day - and as new remembrances come to me, I may well update it.

As the years go on, and this blog seems an interminable waste of time and fuss, and as my ego weakens its grip on me (ever too slowly to be sure) it seems less time is required to indulge my need for self-advertising.

However, I do like to briefly report in such posts on things done and experienced.

The highlight of the year is the time spent at Christmas with my family. No other part of the year is ever more meaningful, and I am always reminded how love shapes and supports my existence.

Professionally, managing to keep my small indie publishing press afloat in a bad time for retail and literary publishing, was a major success for me.

We published too many vital and important books to celebrate them all here, but two stood out for me, as being watersheds in our company's fortunes and esteem - The Monkman and Seagull Quiz Book - a good-selling end of year and popular book - and the lyrics pamphlet by the pre-eminent poetic genius Paul Muldoon


Working with the quiz lads, and the brilliant Irish poet were both great intellectual pleasures, and rare treats. It was also wonderful to see Tim Dooley's Weemoed become a PBS selection; and for Maria Apichella's Psalmody to be favoured by Andrew Marr as a New Statesman Book of the Year (and Forward nominee). Rich Goodson's pamphlet Mr Universe was also a PBS Autumn Choice!

My editorial team has been superb this year, witty, and smart, and very hard-working. I also enjoyed our numerous launches at the wonderfully indie and friendly Windmill, Brixton, and the more posh and established LRB shop. My old friend Eric Sigler flew in from Miami to launch a book, which was lovely. The Poet's Quest for God launch in Ireland was well-attended by over 100 people, and we sold over 120 books.


Personally, as a poet-scholar, the highlight would be the beginning of my residency at Pembroke College, Cambridge - where I have been welcomed in by some very impressive and delightful people, indeed. It ends in July 2018. Also, publishing my Dream-beauty-psycho pamphlet was a fun thing to do.

As always, I have (no joke) about 25 ideas for books, plays, novels, and movies I should like to write. I always delay by throwing myself into yet another project.

My best non-human friend remains my cat, Suetonius, now a year and a half old. He is so alert, and lithe and leaping, and very affectionate, and he has taught me to prize life above civilization.

My wife, as always wishing to remain anonymous, has asked I leave her out of this report, so I reluctantly shall.

In the spring I turned 51. In the summer, I was fortunate to spend a few weeks in Paris and the South of France.

In terms of my soul/psyche, it has continued to be a source of great challenge and sorrow to me, that I am not a better person. And God seemed a bit distant this year - my fault not theirs.

I need to reign in my urge to escapism, and certainly over-eat less.


Regarding the wider world of 2017, I think it is obvious that from a Western perspective, the main stories that people will recall in a decade or more, are the offenses of Trump, the idiocies of Brexit, and the ongoing cyber transformation of the world, culminating in the #metoo campaign and downfall of mostly men who unethically abused their power to prey on people for sexual motives. More broadly, we saw a rising China, and a frightening impasse with North Korea.

In my darker moods, I expect Trump, when faced with impeachable charges, may try to instigate a war. I worry over a hard Brexit. And I fear for my loved ones.

Ageing teaches us that youth's infallible energies and arrogance are ludicrous may-flies. Try to be good, less selfish, and work hard to support friends, loved ones, family, and strangers. And, if possible, create beauty, or art that expresses the needed outrage.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CLIVE WILMER'S THOM GUNN SELECTED POEMS IS A MUST-READ

THAT HANDSOME MAN  A PERSONAL BRIEF REVIEW BY TODD SWIFT I could lie and claim Larkin, Yeats , or Dylan Thomas most excited me as a young poet, or even Pound or FT Prince - but the truth be told, it was Thom Gunn I first and most loved when I was young. Precisely, I fell in love with his first two collections, written under a formalist, Elizabethan ( Fulke Greville mainly), Yvor Winters triad of influences - uniquely fused with an interest in homerotica, pop culture ( Brando, Elvis , motorcycles). His best poem 'On The Move' is oddly presented here without the quote that began it usually - Man, you gotta go - which I loved. Gunn was - and remains - so thrilling, to me at least, because so odd. His elegance, poise, and intelligence is all about display, about surface - but the surface of a panther, who ripples with strength beneath the skin. With Gunn, you dressed to have sex. Or so I thought.  Because I was queer (I maintain the right to lay claim to that

IQ AND THE POETS - ARE YOU SMART?

When you open your mouth to speak, are you smart?  A funny question from a great song, but also, a good one, when it comes to poets, and poetry. We tend to have a very ambiguous view of intelligence in poetry, one that I'd say is dysfunctional.  Basically, it goes like this: once you are safely dead, it no longer matters how smart you were.  For instance, Auden was smarter than Yeats , but most would still say Yeats is the finer poet; Eliot is clearly highly intelligent, but how much of Larkin 's work required a high IQ?  Meanwhile, poets while alive tend to be celebrated if they are deemed intelligent: Anne Carson, Geoffrey Hill , and Jorie Graham , are all, clearly, very intelligent people, aside from their work as poets.  But who reads Marianne Moore now, or Robert Lowell , smart poets? Or, Pound ?  How smart could Pound be with his madcap views? Less intelligent poets are often more popular.  John Betjeman was not a very smart poet, per se.  What do I mean by smart?

"I have crossed oceans of time to find you..."

In terms of great films about, and of, love, we have Vertigo, In The Mood for Love , and Casablanca , Doctor Zhivago , An Officer and a Gentleman , at the apex; as well as odder, more troubling versions, such as Sophie's Choice and  Silence of the Lambs .  I think my favourite remains Bram Stoker's Dracula , with the great immortal line "I have crossed oceans of time to find you...".