We've had great pop, indie, dance, rock and soul songs in 2014 from the likes of David Bowie, and bombast from U2, and new ideas from Prince, new rare pathos from Stevie Nicks, comebacks from Billy Idol and Echo and the Bunnymen, and mournful Beck... and none of these makes our ultimate top 20 of tracks from 2014 you can locate on Spotify (UK) - sorry Morrissey. Here is our countdown, with three-word reviews. Tell Eyewear what you think.
1. 2: 54 - 'The Monaco' - indie pop heaven.
2. Alvvays - 'Archie, Marry Me' - smartest summer track.
3. Banks - 'Begging For Thread' - dark sexy pop.
4. Charlie XCX - 'Boom Clap' - big breakthrough hit.
5. Childhood - 'Right Beneath Me' - the new Smiths.
6. Dum Dum Girls - 'Rimbaud Eyes' - pitch-perfect 80s retro.
7. Ella Henderson - 'Ghost' - uplifting radio moment.
8. Fat White Family - Touch The Leather' - creepy twisted indie.
9. Foxes - 'Glorious' - as title suggests.
10. Lana del Rey - 'Cruel World' - David Lynch pop.
11. Radiator Hospital - 'Cut Your Bangs' - cute quirky indie.
12. Sam Smith - 'Stay With Me' - song of year.
13. SBTRKT, feat. Ezra Koening - 'NEW DORP, NEW YORK' - cool odd dance.
14. Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings - 'Stranger To My Happiness' - super retro soul.
15. Simple Minds - 'Honest Town' - new gold song.
16. Sleater-Kinney - 'Bury Our Friends' - best indie track.
17. The Smashing Pumpkins - 'Drum + Fife' - implausibly cool return.
18. St Vincent - 'Digital Witness' - new David Byrne.
19. The War on Drugs - 'Red Eye' - great beer rock.
20. Warpaint - 'Keep It Healthy' - best indie album.
Announcing the Shortlist for the 2016 Sexton Prize September 13, 2016 / By Kelly Davio Eyewear Publishing i...
Igor Isakovski, one of the leading Macedonian poets of the 21st century Sad news, the energetic poet, novelist, publisher, editor, book ...
Steve Van-Hagen reviews Regeneration by Meirion Jordan Meirion Jordan, shortlisted for the Forward Prize for Be...
The world has many divisions - one of them is between those who love the Olympics, and their idealism, and sporting opportunities for the yo...
The Best New Poets: 50 Poems From Emerging Writers is a brilliant series from America, that seeks to celebrate younger poets that don...
There aren't any images of Abraham Lincoln Gillespie , that I could find, so instead here is one of South Philadelphia in the 1930s. He ...
THIS POET LOVES GOOD MUSIC 2016 has been more bad news than beach.... But in the midst of the worst times, popular culture, at least...
A LADY LOOKING FOR NOSFERATU IN CHAPMAN'S POETRY I have been a fan of Patrick Chapman's poetry for the whole of the 21st centur...
British poet Isabel Galleymore , pictured, won the anniversary competition for the best poem involving eyes, vision or eyewear in a poem... ...
the book you must read "Baby Bad: TRUMP'S FINAL FACE IS THAT OF INFANTILISM" If we were to imagine history as a ...
About Eyewear the blog
Eyewear THE BLOG is the most read British poetry blog-zine of all time, getting more than 25,000 page-views a month. It began in 2005 and has now been read by over 2.5 million.
The views expressed by editor Todd Swift are not necessarily shared by contributing poets and reviewers. Any material on this blog infringing copyright will be removed immediately upon request.To order books from Eyewear PUBLISHING LIMITED, go to: www.eyewearpublishing.com