Friday, 13 September 2013

SIMON GLADDISH ON ROYAL MAIL

Mail Junkie
 
Many are the ladies
Who’ve had me smitten.
Many are the letters
I have written.
 
Many are the sighs
That I have heaved.
Few are the replies
That I’ve received.
 
These days the only people
Who ever write to me
Are bureaucrats at the electricity
And water company.
 
I get a bit of junk mail
(Usually second post).
I’ve a competition with the guy next door
To see who gets the most.
 
I still listen for the postman
With his firm familiar tread.
It’s no exaggeration
To say it gets me out of bed.
 
I seize hold of the envelopes
In brown or white or buff.
I don’t care about the contents -
I just never get enough!
 
(Copyright  Simon R. Gladdish  2013)
 
Post a Comment

Popular Posts

About Eyewear the blog

Eyewear THE BLOG is the most read British poetry blog-zine of all time, getting more than 25,000 page-views a month. It began in 2005 and has now been read by over 2.5 million.


The views expressed by editor Todd Swift are not necessarily shared by contributing poets and reviewers. Any material on this blog infringing copyright will be removed immediately upon request.
To order books from Eyewear PUBLISHING LIMITED, go to: www.eyewearpublishing.com