Sunday, 17 June 2012

Poetry Focus On: PHOEBE POWER


Phoebe Power received one of the 2012 Eric Gregory Awards, just announced last week. She was also a Foyle Young Poet of the Year in 2009, and her poems have appeared in OrbisPomegranate, Domestic Cherry and FireLast year, she had a poem iced onto cake by Poetry Digest. She is based near Penrith, and is currently studying English at Cambridge. You can read her poems atphoebepower.blogspot.com


Mr –

Always in my back room.
Swinging landscape painting,
this woollen, curlsome mass.
Caught in the seams of a shadow or stencil
it’s him, the familiar place.

I would burst past handwriting,
be wrapped in voice and eyes, but
flotsam, sharp stones. A dam.
My head gongs metal, and spins
dizzily away. I have rehearsed this

for five years, killing myself
very slowly. My body
would mature but its new growths 
denature, deform
as I ram and ram against him,
through every second’s pore,

while he smiles at the wall like a buddha
backlighting the studio of my mind.
If he was a god, I could believe in him.
But



poem by Phoebe Power; published online with permission of the author
Post a Comment

Popular Posts

About Eyewear the blog

Eyewear THE BLOG is the most read British poetry blog-zine of all time, getting more than 25,000 page-views a month. It began in 2005 and has now been read by over 2.5 million.


The views expressed by editor Todd Swift are not necessarily shared by contributing poets and reviewers. Any material on this blog infringing copyright will be removed immediately upon request.
To order books from Eyewear PUBLISHING LIMITED, go to: www.eyewearpublishing.com