Wednesday, 8 December 2010

National Distress

I was on a National Express train yesterday at 10.30 am - delayed for more than half an hour because of weather - travelling First Class (tickets bought well in advance can be quite reasonable) for a change.  Never again.  When asked by the service manager if I wanted to order anything from the new generous-looking breakfast menu, I asked for tea and toast.  He became defensive, and told me I could only have these if I ordered a set menu meal, such as an omelet, for around £8.

Pointing out that tea and toast were priced at £1 on the menu as extras, he refused to sell them to me separately.  So much for "first class service" - indeed, service of any kind.  It might have been nice to have something hot on such a cold day.  He did say I could go to the buffet car, of course (for second class travellers) rendering the whole idea of first class at-seat service absurd.  When I want to the buffet, the chef was truculent, and verging on menacing , leaning over me, sneering and insinuating I was too cheap to order a proper meal.  Whatever happened to tea and toast for elevenses?  Kafka on the tracks?
Post a Comment

Popular Posts

About Eyewear the blog

Eyewear THE BLOG is the most read British poetry blog-zine of all time, getting more than 25,000 page-views a month. It began in 2005 and has now been read by over 2.5 million.


The views expressed by editor Todd Swift are not necessarily shared by contributing poets and reviewers. Any material on this blog infringing copyright will be removed immediately upon request.
To order books from Eyewear PUBLISHING LIMITED, go to: www.eyewearpublishing.com