Tuesday, 5 October 2010

Franzenstein Monster?

I walked past a bookshop today, filled with Freedom, the new novel by Jonathan Franzen.  On top of the book, with the pride of the Iwo Jima flag, flared a sign quoting Blake Morrison: For now, the only show in town is Jonathan Franzen....

I am sure London is big enough for two shows, but last night, Franzen's infamous spectacles were stolen from off his face, and briefly ransomed for £100,000 before being recovered after helicopters and frogmen searched near the Serpentine.  Someone has suggested this was the work of an over-imaginative PR.

Like a eunuch in a harem, I find myself utterly disinterested in this most marvellous, extraordinary book.  The idea of Freedom leaves me cold.  No, that is too mild.  It leaves me -273 degrees Celsius.  I think I may have literary exhaustion - I can no longer get it on with such things.

I know 100 brilliant gifted poets scattered around the world, each with a few books out, or one, that I enjoy reading.  I love poetry, and I appreciate it, too.  I thought I understand prose, the beauty of a great novel.  However, while I could see why The Sea was a work of near genius, I balk at Freedom.

Is it because it appears to be relentlessly materialist, in the Woolfian sense?  Is it because it appears to be a book that sets out to describe "what America is really like, now"?  I have two problems with that offer - one, I don't believe fiction actually is the best mechanism for depicting socio-political truth (if ever it was) and two, I don't care to be told what America is or was like, according to one middle-aged man.  Ho Hum.  I find Brazil, or North Korea, or Latvia, more fascinating, and Oman, and, indeed, New Zealand.  The world is a big place, and yet another tale about Americans grappling with their ideals and largesse and pop culture is so, well, 80s.

Perhaps this last grasp at a Great American Novel has come at a time when America is about to discover it is no longer great.  In Britain, that time was the 50s, and a poet, Larkin, caught the failing of the empire better than any novelist of the period.  I suspect there are American poets and singer-songwriters doing that now, better too - just as The Wire did.  Now, if someone persuades me that the verbal inventiveness and imaginative invention of Freedom is remarkable and transporting, I will make a beeline for it.  Otherwise, I have a 1,000 pages plus of Irish poetry to read, in the meantime.  And no, Eyewear didn't steal his glasses.
Post a Comment

Popular Posts

About Eyewear the blog

Eyewear THE BLOG is the most read British poetry blog-zine of all time, getting more than 25,000 page-views a month. It began in 2005 and has now been read by over 2.5 million.


The views expressed by editor Todd Swift are not necessarily shared by contributing poets and reviewers. Any material on this blog infringing copyright will be removed immediately upon request.
To order books from Eyewear PUBLISHING LIMITED, go to: www.eyewearpublishing.com