Skip to main content

THE SWIFT REPORT 2000-2009

The decade which has just passed was - arguably - the best and worst of my life. I went from being 33 to 43, a screenwriter with a hundred hours of produced TV to a teacher, and from health to sickness. Along the way, I lived in Budapest, Paris and finally London - all extraordinary cities where I made many friends, and had wonderful experiences. I was married to the love of my life, Sara, and still am. My father died, horribly, of brain cancer. Many other relatives died too: beloved uncles, an aunt, and my maternal grandfather. I became an uncle myself, when Alex was born. Good friends died also, such as Richard and Robert.

This decade, I returned to university and received an MA in Creative Writing from UEA. I became a poetry tutor and university lecturer, first at London Met, then Birkbeck, then Kingston University. I recovered from a car accident (one arm could not move for a year). I became associated via Martin Penny with Oxfam as their poet in residence. And poetry - this past decade saw me edit numerous international anthologies - 100 Poets Against The War, a famous ebook; Short Fuse, a New York book introducing the idea of fusion poetry; the Life Lines CDs, which sold tens of thousands of copies; an Oxfam DVD; and several others, such as Future Welcome and In The Criminal's Cabinet - as well as edited special sections of New American Writing, London Magazine, Jacket and The Manhattan Review. I also co-edited an academic study, with Jason Camlot, Language Acts, on anglophone poetry in Quebec since 1976.

Meanwhile, I published five books of my own poems this decade, three with DC Books in Montreal, then Seaway, a new and selected, from the Irish press Salmon, and a new book, Mainstream Love Hotel, with British press tall lighthouse. I also created the Swifty Lazarus CD with Tom Walsh.

Also, I became interested in using social networks and the Internet to promote poetry communities - something I was a bit of a pioneer in (before the technology was really where it is now) until blogs and tweets completely became the norm - hard to be the man with a megaphone in a town with telephones; cheerleaders aren't needed when the team is already winning. I started this blog five years ago. I edited the poetry at Val Stevenson's Nthposition from 2002 or so until last year, when Rufo Quintavalle took over the reigns. And, with Dan Mitchell, I began the first Poetry Group at Facebook.

During this time I also ran poetry readings in Budapest, Paris and London, and featured hundreds of the best younger and established poets. Poetic highlights of the decade might also include dining at high table at Cambridge with Seamus Heaney and Tamar Yoseloff; interviewing Al Alvarez; and having Les Murray as a houseguest. As well as studying with George Szirtes and Denise Riley, Jon Cook and Clive Scott. I myself read at Oxford and other venues, such as the Frankfurt Book Fair where I was a special guest. I also wrote reviews in The Globe and Mail, Poetry Review, Poetry London, and so on. My poems were selected for inclusion in Starnino's New Canon, Queyras's Open Field, and Bolster's Best Canadian Poems.

By decade's end, completing a PhD, teaching, writing poems, and struggling to break through the stuffy impasses of the poetry worlds, and dealing with many personal sorrows and losses, I became physically and emotionally exhausted.

I survey my decade of fortune and misfortune with some wariness and sadness. I see a young man blessed with enthusiasm, energy, and goodwill, open to many styles and kinds of poetry, who encountered a number of startlingly brutal gatekeepers and impediments.

My will was broken over this decade - note the lack of prizes or nominations; for all my efforts, my poetry remains marginal, off-piste. Well, not entirely. I am mentioned in a few books, and a poet wrote an MA thesis on my work, but, frankly, Seaway not getting any published reviews in Canada felt like a blow.

Attempts to build a counter-stream online alternative to the mainstream, has mainly failed utterly. The net readers do not support each other as well as they should. If they did, more of the anthologies I worked on would have sold.

Instead, this decade saw a sad decline into celebrity and marketing, where only the major established publishing houses can really compete, with their large budgets; oddly, and paradoxically, those who use the net do so to get things for free - but what kind of waves are they if only ruled by pirates?

Younger and emerging poets all seek mainstream and establishment kudos (as I guess I do too) and thus few truly excercise the power of the Internet for change and radical transformation of the system of poetic distribution; after all, the main awards still go to books, published on paper. Perhaps the decade of the ebook is upon us?

When will new critics emerge, in the UK, with the intelligence of Eliot, Ricks, or Leavis? We have Peter Robinson, Fiona Sampson, and Tim Dooley - but I'd like to see the younger poets become active (and daring) critics too, unafraid of powerhouse shadows. They should learn from Carmine Starnino, who took on Atwood. Why do so few dare to query the facile cronyism at the core of so much UK poetry awardism? Why doesn't Dannie Abse have the Queen's Gold Medal - or Alan Brownjohn?

I sometimes feel as if I have wasted my time on poetry - especially poetry promotion, which bequeathed me sickness and despair. All that has truly afforded me joy in this life has been love. Love of God, love of friends, love of my wife, love of music, of film, of art, of nature. I hope to regain my love of poetry, and get my groove (and mojo) back.

This decade I look forward to becoming a Catholic, completing my PhD, and, with some luck, getting my disease under control with medication. I have a new poetry manuscript that may be published in a few years as well. Other pending projects include the Carcanet anthology of Canadian Verse, edited with Evan Jones. And, I have a book of essays on mid-century poets that, post-PhD, might be worth getting published.

Dreams? A child, a novel, health. May this decade bless you.

Comments

Jeffrey Side said…
Todd, I sympathise with you. All your hard work does seem to have been spent in vain. But always keep hopeful. The general extent of the exclusiveness of the UK mainstream and avant-garde poetry cliques is something I have come to see as a particularly British affair. Moreover, poetry in the UK seems to me to resent poetic entrepreneurs such as yourself. I don’t know why, except to suggest that in their elitism they see it as vulgar. Anyway, all the best for the New Year.
We gonna make the best Figure and fact of the decade in the blog www.olhardireito.blogspot.com

You can follow all the incidents
Janet Vickers said…
Thank you for all you have done for poetry and for emerging and established poets.
Poetry Pest said…
Dear Todd

You are not the only poet to have been broken on the wheel of the British Poetry Establishment. If it's any consolation to you, I am another. I wish you greatly improved health and success during this coming decade.

Best wishes from Simon
Padhraig Nolan said…
Hi Todd, best wishes for the New Year and coming decade. May your dreams flourish.

"Dreams can survive / though you've seen them dragging backwards over half a million miles / punched and kicked within an inch of their exhausted lives / turn around, they're blooming wildly right before your eyes."
Sue Guiney said…
It ain't easy, that's for sure. But I continue to hope that the obvious demise of the publishing industry as we know it will play into the hands of the writers and that a new approach will emerge, if we can only hang on and hold our nerve. A big if, but I'll keep trying as I hope you will. I wish you all you hope for and more in the coming year(s).
Victor Sandor said…
Todd -- Came across a book you gave me early last decade -- Wishing you the best for the next decade!

I get to London a few times per year -- would love to see you.

Victor
Anonymous said…
Tony Lewis-Jones writes:

I am indeed saddened to find you at this low point TS - only reflect on what you have achieved in a more positive light maybe - the total outflanking of an entrenched establishment, whose persistence in their increasingly meaningless rituals is coming to seem more and more pointless. Courage, shuffle the cards - the last decade's achievements which you have briefly enumerated are more than many poets manage in a lifetime - and what is more, performed in a spirit of peace and goodwill. May you start to reap the good karma that is undoubtedly yours to come in the near future.
Tom said…
I feel the need to profer some glib phrase so I will: Keep on keeping on Todd! Your energies are inspiring.

Very best for 2010,
Tom
Sarah Hymas said…
It seems to me, Todd, that you haven't been wasting your time at all this past decade.

Poetry is a slow burn art, and teaches, if nothing else, patience, in the reading of it, the writing of it and the deesimination of it.

All you do affects someone, somewhere, and I can only hope that on brighter days you realise that. But of course this is not the sole reason for your actions and writings.

Who would you be, how would you think and understand without this engagement?
-Boyce- said…
I'd like to quote a poet I've been a great fan and supporter of since I stumbled upon one of his books back in '05 while traveling in Quebec:

Letting Go

It's the simplest thing
to open up the fingers,
let the teacup
tell its fortune on the floor.

Or in the movie, drop
the villain from a President
down Mt. Rushmore,
to squash him flat.

I've been one to do that:
leave the kettle on, the bath
running, the baby in the stove,
jump off to be in love.

Popular posts from this blog

CLIVE WILMER'S THOM GUNN SELECTED POEMS IS A MUST-READ

THAT HANDSOME MAN  A PERSONAL BRIEF REVIEW BY TODD SWIFT I could lie and claim Larkin, Yeats , or Dylan Thomas most excited me as a young poet, or even Pound or FT Prince - but the truth be told, it was Thom Gunn I first and most loved when I was young. Precisely, I fell in love with his first two collections, written under a formalist, Elizabethan ( Fulke Greville mainly), Yvor Winters triad of influences - uniquely fused with an interest in homerotica, pop culture ( Brando, Elvis , motorcycles). His best poem 'On The Move' is oddly presented here without the quote that began it usually - Man, you gotta go - which I loved. Gunn was - and remains - so thrilling, to me at least, because so odd. His elegance, poise, and intelligence is all about display, about surface - but the surface of a panther, who ripples with strength beneath the skin. With Gunn, you dressed to have sex. Or so I thought.  Because I was queer (I maintain the right to lay claim to that

IQ AND THE POETS - ARE YOU SMART?

When you open your mouth to speak, are you smart?  A funny question from a great song, but also, a good one, when it comes to poets, and poetry. We tend to have a very ambiguous view of intelligence in poetry, one that I'd say is dysfunctional.  Basically, it goes like this: once you are safely dead, it no longer matters how smart you were.  For instance, Auden was smarter than Yeats , but most would still say Yeats is the finer poet; Eliot is clearly highly intelligent, but how much of Larkin 's work required a high IQ?  Meanwhile, poets while alive tend to be celebrated if they are deemed intelligent: Anne Carson, Geoffrey Hill , and Jorie Graham , are all, clearly, very intelligent people, aside from their work as poets.  But who reads Marianne Moore now, or Robert Lowell , smart poets? Or, Pound ?  How smart could Pound be with his madcap views? Less intelligent poets are often more popular.  John Betjeman was not a very smart poet, per se.  What do I mean by smart?

"I have crossed oceans of time to find you..."

In terms of great films about, and of, love, we have Vertigo, In The Mood for Love , and Casablanca , Doctor Zhivago , An Officer and a Gentleman , at the apex; as well as odder, more troubling versions, such as Sophie's Choice and  Silence of the Lambs .  I think my favourite remains Bram Stoker's Dracula , with the great immortal line "I have crossed oceans of time to find you...".